Teeth Whitening: Types, Procedures and Maintenance
What is teeth whitening?
In order to lighten the colour of the teeth and achieve a whiter appearance, the procedure of teeth whitening is performed.
What are the types of teeth whitening?
Shawn Javid gives its patients various options of teeth whitening procedures such as
- Whitening toothpaste and rinses: They can be purchased at supermarkets and contain bleaching agents that lighten the teeth by removing the stains on the enamel of the teeth. Results are perceivable after 12 weeks of use.
- Teeth whitening strips: They are thin flexible strips of polyethylene with a layer of hydrogen peroxide and should be worn everyday for half an hour. Results depend on extent of discoloration.
- Teeth whitening gels: When applied everyday for fourteen days, whitened effects from these can sustain up-to four months at an average.
- Tray bleaching: These are kits provided by dentists and give quicker, more effective results. A custom made tray with a peroxide based gel is fitted on the mouth in this process that could give results in 3-4 days.
- In-office whitening: The fastest way of bleaching teeth, it is performed within a dental office and could give results within just one 90 minute session.
How can I maintain my teeth whitening?
It is important to maintain the pearly white appearance after the treatments with trained Shawn Javid dentists.
Some food and drinks to exclude for maintaining this are:
- Acidic foods and beverages could cause pain due to the sensitivity of the teeth after the treatment. These include items like lemonade, alcohol, citrus fruits, vinegar, tomatoes and other food items with a low pH value.
- Dark beverages and colored food could stain the teeth again. If you must, use straws for sodas and drinks to avoid direct contact with teeth. Additionally, naturally or unnaturally colored food items such as cranberries, lollipops and other sugary candies, popsicles, and other brightly or deeply colored foods should be strongly avoided after treatment.
- Extremely cold or hot foods and beverages could irritate the sensitive teeth that could pain easily after the treatments.
- Food with high sugar content should be avoided to maintain a neutral pH balance.